Saturday 9 September 2017

Review: August Love Lula Beauty Box

A belated look at the August Love Lula Beauty Box.
What's inside:

BALM BALM CHAMOMILE FLORAL WATER £8.50

I was most excited about this one, as I've previously used Balm Balm's Rose Floral Water (loved) and Frankincense Facial Tonic (didn't like the smell of it, but still used it). However, a hefty spray to my face left me nearly gagging. Yes, I'm all about pure, natural ingredients with no parfum but this is above and beyond the call of duty. Truly vile smelling. Am I continuing to use it? Yes. A bit like eating carrots, I know it's good for me. I don't have to like it though.


BEAUTY BREWS HYGGE ORANGE AND CINAMMON TEA £9.50
After being initially surprised to see tea in my box, I was intrigued. It's been many years since I've used a loose tea. When I started drinking Earl Grey as a teenager, there was only the loose format available (showing my age here) so I dug out my old 'works' to use with it (tea strainers). I wasn't sure I would like it though, because although Earl and Lady Grey are my favourite teas, I don't get on well with fruit teas at all and generally find them quite unpalatable.
Imagine my shock when I found it was an extremely pleasant experience. A gorgeous, gorgeous tea that I am using as a special treat (and at that price, that's what it is).


PHB ETHICAL BEAUTY EYELINER BROWN £10.95
While I love PHB and am currently using their eyeliner in black, I was less than thrilled to receive a brown one. I've never used a brown eyeliner in my life. That said, because it's PHB, I might use it but it will be way down the queue.


GLOSSWORKS 3 IN 1 CLEAR POLISH £12
Felt quite 'whatever' about this. The Love Lula box is a special treat to myself every month. I don't consider a base/top coat to be a special treat, even if it is 9-free, just a necessity. Like panty liners. However, I have just finished my previous one, so I am now using this one.

GLOSSWORKS POLISH IN NAME OF THE ROSE £12

I was definitely WTF? with this. 2 polishes? Were LL short of something to stick in this month? I have more nail polishes than I can shake a stick at (obsessed) and while one would have been okay, two seemed excessive to me. And it's not my shade. I'm more non-traditional with my colours - think glitter metallic and you get the idea. Girly pink is not me. I could gift it though.


Verdict: This is only the second box I have received. I loved July's box and I love Love Lula in general. Despite being worth a hefty £50+, this one was disappointing, with only 2 products that I was happy to get (and one of those stinks). I'm hoping normal service will be resumed next month because one of the reasons I subscribed to this box was the quality of past boxes. Hopefully this one was just a blip and I only have to think about the yummy tea to be glad I got this box!

You can subscribe to the Love Lula beauty box here



No comments:

Post a Comment